Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What Really Grinds My Gears #5 -- Minnesota Driving Issues

You know what really grinds my gears? Minnesota drivers and Minnesota road design.

Minnesota drivers, first of all, have no idea of how to merge into traffic. Sometimes six cars squeeze ahead into one spot, sometimes one guy prevents everyone from merging. Hey idiots -- one for one rule -- you let one car in, then you go, then one car goes behind you and the next guy in line goes, etc., etc.

And how about the folks who decide that they police the left lane of traffic. "It says speed limit 60, so I will go 59." Get the hell out of the lane!!! If there are cops, there are cops. Accept common practice. Do you go downtown and force people into the crosswalk, or trip them when they try to cross when it says "Don't Walk"? If no, then just get the hell out of the left lane. I wanna get to where I am going!! People are passing you on the right!

And hey, road designers, this is the 12th biggest state in the union. Any real reason why people exiting off southbound Highway 169 onto Interstate 394 East have to share an exit lane with people getting onto 169 South from Interstate 394? Any idea why you inconvenienced 400,000 cars a day to save maybe 500 feet of pavement? And you built an intersection with I-35 (runs all the way through Texas) where people going south had to cross 4 lanes of traffic just to stay on I-35? And it will take 4 years to reconstruct the fix to that wonderful design?

That is what really grinds my gears.

HM

No comments: