Friday, June 12, 2009

God Takes a Vacation -- Lakers and Devil Lead 3-1

I have been watching the NBA finals since 1974. I honestly cannot remember a series in which a team has had a layup to win one game and 2 free throws to win another and pissed them BOTH away. Sure, you had Magic throwing the ball to Gerald Henderson, but he didn't do it twice. You had Nick Anderson blowing the 4 free throws, but Orlando basically collapsed thereafter. Even the Lakers' blown games against Boston last year involved lengthy collapses not games that could have been so clearly won with under 12 seconds to play.

I recall Detroit beating Portland in........1990? That was similar, but that also involved great work by Dumars and Vinnie Johnson. Not sure what Lakers did a great job in having Courtney Lee blow a layup and Dwight Howard clang two free throws.


I really cannot believe that the Magic is/are down 3-1. At WORST it should be 2-2, and if God had not forsaken true basketball fans everywhere outside of SoCal, it should be 3-1 Magic.


And of course driving in I heard The Fray's "You Found Me" -- a song about God not answering your prayers and then you meeting him on the corner while he is smoking a cigarette. Here is what Stan Van Gundy must have been thinking as he failed to sleep last night:


I found God
On the corner of First and Amistad
Where the west Was all but won
All alone Smoking his last cigarette
I said, "Where you been?" He said, "Ask anything."

Where were you When everything was falling apart?
All my days Were spent by the telephone It never rang
And all I needed was a call It never came
To the corner of First and Amistad

Lost and insecure You found me, you found me
Lyin' on the floor Surrounded, surrounded
Why'd you have to wait? Where were you? Where were you?
Just a little late

No comments: