Some high spots:
1) Michigan now shies away from recruiting kids like Jalen Rose.
The Michigan team that lost by two points to Duke on Sunday features numerous white players, the black sons of three former NBA players (Tim Hardaway, Joe Dumars, Tito Horford) and the son of a powerful NBA/NFL agent (Mark Bartelstein).
2) When black men call each other “Uncle Toms” and “bitches” for no good reason and the financial benefit of ESPN, it’s admirable candor? When Don Imus calls black women “nappy-headed hos” for no good reason and the financial benefit of a radio station, it’s a crime against humanity and a fireable offense?
3) If it’s clear Rose and King don’t view Hill as an Uncle Tom, a bitch and a sellout now, then it would be very easy for Rose and King to offer a concise apology for the confusion and move on. But, asked repeatedly during the past week to back away from the statements, Rose sidestepped each time.
“Well, the bottom line is this: They do recruit a certain kind of player,” Rose told Skip Bayless. “They recruit a lot of players from private schools.”
HM -- This, by the way, is Jalen Rose at his most disingenuous and cowardly -- he knows he cannot say he doesn't believe it anymore (he will lose all street cred), and he knows he cannot say that he still believes it (he will lose his job). So he mealy mouths it and lets others do his bidding and say "I am sure he does not mean it." Eff that, Jalen -- answer, "Do you believe it today, yes or no?" He won't answer. Pathetic.
4) To this day, Jimmy King, who graduated from a rich, predominantly white suburban high school in Plano, Texas, is pretending he’s an original member of the Geto Boys, a 5th Ward gangster.
HM -- Awesome ad hominum attack! Hey, pseudo-white guy from Plano, maybe you should just stop pretending to be a hoodlum.
5) Seventy-two percent of our children (black kids) are being born to unwed mothers. It’s our responsibility to raise and develop them in a manner that prepares them to compete in this society.
6) Most fatherless kids don’t grow to be 6-8. They’re 5-8, have little athletic skill and are justifiably mad at the world. They don’t have groups of men bending over backward helping them to see all the opportunities the world offers them if they can put away some of the bitterness and focus on doing what’s necessary to get an education.
This was always my reply when Al McGuire (sp? RIP) used to say how great it was that Tarkanian helped out endangered black kids -- yep, if they were 6'6" or above and could dribble and shoot.
7) HM -- Displaying that great minds think alike, Whitlock takes a Fox News shot:
Despite his Sarah Palin-like, blame-the-media, FOX News public-relations strategy, I like Jalen Rose. His heart is in the right place. We need to get his head in the right place.