Happy birthday, Playstation Maven.
Your 16 most productive players since the 1995-96 season, based upon Total Win Shares.
16. Elton Brand - injuries have greatly reduced his upside, but he has toiled a long time and very effectively. 102.6 Win Shares
15. Rasheed Wallace - another guy who will probably miss out on the Hall of Fame, but whose effectiveness has lasted a long time. 105 Win Shares.
14. Vince Carter - if I told you that Vince Carter barely had more Win Shares than Rasheed Wallace, you would probably shake your head and say, "what a waste of talent." But of course you would, the words "Vince Carter" were mentioned. 106.5 Win Shares
13. Pau Gasol - One of the younger guys on the list. His Win Share totals and two titles basically insure a HOF induction. 107.6 Win Shares.
12. Gary Payton - 109.4 - shows what an awesome player Payton was, since he retired 7 years ago and yet is 10 seasons in PM's life netted over 10 Win Shares a year.
11. Shawn Marion - it will be interesting to see whether Shawn Marion makes the Hall of Fame. In my opinion he has never been a top 15 player, but he has 114.4 Win Shares and is still going.
10. Chauncey Billups - former Wolf, we didn't need him. 119.9 Win Shares.
9. Steve Nash - a first ballot HOF player with 2 MVPs - 125.3 Win Shares, and I would imagine they are all Offensive WS
8. Jason Kidd - 131.7 Win Shares. His career starts before my son's boirth and continues today - impressive.
7. Paul Pierce - 132.7 Win Shares - it would be a worthwhile effort to poll people and ask who is better, Pierce or Kidd.
6. Ray Allen - 137.4 - Jesus Shuttlesworth is an amazing player.
5. Shaq - 140.3 - here is a guy who began playing 3 years before my son was born and who was done years ago. Despite missing a number of the 17 years at issue, he is still #5.
4. Kobe - arg. What makes me most unhappy about this is that with Dirk's injury and Kobe's sudden resurgence as a scoring leader, he has almost caught up to Dirk. 166.3 Win Shares.
3. Dirk Nowitski - 168.9 - what the numbers tell you is that Dirk has for a long, long time has been a great player and a very winning player.
2. Tim Duncan - 179.1 Win Shares, Timmy has been the second greatest regular season player of my son's life, and probably tossing in playoff Win Shares he is #1.
1. Kevin Garnett - Duncan is having a great year, so old KG better beware, by next year he may slip to #2 on my son's list, but for now he is at 183.5, 4.4 ahead of Duncan.