Friday, June 22, 2018

Trump Suporters Dating in D.C.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/06/22/trump-millennial-supporters-washington-dc-218833


The article has been read as saying Trump supporters/workers are having a tough time dating in D.C.  My general thought after reading the whole article is, "Not really."  Most of the people in the article  don't really seem to care, and,like any good religion/cult, they have opportunities to hang out together and they take advantage of that.  I don't see this article as really reflecting any huge problem or huge internal concern as a general rule.


Now, what are my thoughts outside of this article?  Well, I am a moderate Democrat. I despise Trump, but I have some beliefs that are not consistent with the Bernie Sanders wing of the party.  But as anyone who reads my Twitter feed (@hoopsmavenhm) knows, I am probably on the 70th percentile for liberal beliefs.  As a white guy, that places me among the top 30% of the 38% of white men who voted against Trump, so of white guys who vote, let's assume I am top 13% liberal -- 87% of white guys in the U.S. who vote are probably more conservative than I am.


My belief (again, outside of this article) is that women who work for the Trump Administration will have absolutely no problem dating.  First, they can pick from the 62% of the white male dating pool who voted for Trump (plus anyone who did not care enough about politics to vote against Trump). 
Second, would I date Tomi Lahren?  Yes.  Britt McHenry? Yes.  Would a young me date a young Ann Coulter?  Yes.  A young Michelle Malkin?  Yes.  A young Sarah Palin?  Yes.  Michele Bachmann - OK, close call, the wild eyes and religious fervor scare me.


So, what I am saying is that I REALLY doubt women who work for Trump are being rejected for dates solely or primarily due to their Trump affiliation. 


Now, on the other hand, are there liberal women who will not date guys who are not SUPER liberal?  Oh yes.  Again, I am a fairly liberal guy.  In 1988, working as a law clerk, I was telling a story at lunch about how I went to the bank and the "girl behind the counter gave me an umbrella for opening an account."  Outrage follows -- The What?  "Girl behind...."  Uh, woman!!  WOMAN!!  NOT a girl!!!!  "Well, she was younger than I...."  WOMAN!  Do not make me turn you in to Human Resources.  The two law clerk women (see, lesson learned) did not go to HR, but did report me to the recruiting coordinator who had a partner sit me down and explain to me that to survive the summer I needed to be more sensitive and stop offending people.  Again, this was 1988.  The two women at issue never spoke to me again for the remainder of the summer.


Now, imagine we have moved forward 30 years and you are a male Trump supporter.  The idea that you are actually a Trump supporter itself is probably a "microaggression," even if it is never announced.  Now, consider beyond THAT all of the anti-liberal things that Trump has stated and stands for.  He literally has admitted that he had sexually assaulted women for many years because he could get away with it! You WORK for him?  Recall that two 24 year old women in 1988 literally would not SPEAK to me and wanted me fired for telling a story at an informal lunch calling a 21 year old woman a girl.  (I am not kidding about this, this happened).  What could the possible reaction be from women of this sort 30 years later when a dating candidate announces "yeah, the Bible says we need to put all Mexican children who are infesting our country in cages."  I would suggest the reaction is not a good one.


I would also add that I knew some liberal women in law school who HATED me for not agreeing with 100% of what they said.  One such person, at a law school reunion, was chatting with a close friend of mine.  He stated, "Yeah, I have been hanging out with [Hoops Maven]."  Reply?  "Oh, wow, OK.  Yeah, moving on."


So, I would estimate that being a female Trump supporter reduces your dating options maybe 2%.  I would say being a male Trump supporter reduces your dating options 20-35%


That is just my opinion.








No comments: