Wednesday, October 24, 2018

My 9-Day Business Trip -- Top 10 Moments

I will save my pat-down experience at DFW for another Blog entry.  It didn't occur outside the U.S., and it, in any event, deserves its own entry.

10.  Met someone in Europe who sold military product to North Korea in 1988.  Discussed Kim Jung-Il's claim to have shot an 18 on an 18-hole course.

9.  Ate at an Italian restaurant where the owner knew my client -- received at least $200 worth of free food and drink (plus we paid for more than that).  Probably the friendliest restaurant experience I have ever had.

8.  Set foot in Iceland on a layover -- the forecast for the entire 10-day period was 40 and raining.  They had us walk off the plane, outside, through a steady rain, no cover, no umbrellas to a bus 30 yards away.  Unclear why they could not move the bus closer to us.  I can add that every building I saw in Iceland was made of some sort of corrugated metal.  Apparently since there are no forests on Iceland they ship in as much corrugated metal as they can. 

Reykjavik from the air resembled Madison, Wisconsin in size.

7.  Flew over the tip of Greenland on the way home -- awfully cool to see a place basically no one will ever go to.

Foreign travel features a lot of heart-stopping moments, which will be featured in items 6-5-4

6.  Reached Iceland, walked through the steady rain to the bus, entered the terminal and got in line for the flight that the board says is "London Heathrow".  About 75% of the way to the gate the sign changed to "Tel Aviv."  Now, it would be cool to go to Tel Aviv, but it is a ways from London.  I just stayed in line - F it, London or Tel Aviv here I come!  It was London.

5.  In Dublin when they give me a boarding card, unnoticed by me was that while my flight left at 3:40 p.m. the boarding card says "Gate Closes at 2:05 p.m."  I first notice this warning at 2:10 p.m. while having a snack.   I sprint to the security line, sweating profusely, hoping no one notices that I cannot go forward to the gate. No one mentions anything at all. I am at the gate by 2:18.  I stop sweating around 2:30.  I have no idea whether the "Gate Closes" time was merely advisory, an error, or just not enforced.

4.  At Gate 402, PA announcement, "For those Americans traveling to Chicago, please go to U.S. pre-screening by Gate 408."  Now:  a) I had been through pre-screening back around Gate 301; b) every video board in the place says "Chicago - Gate 402"; and c) I doubt there is even pre-screening down by Gate 408.  I walk up to the gate agent - "Um, pre-screening at Gate 408?"  Reply - what are you talking about?  "The announcement said...."  Reply - there was never any such announcement.  Walk back to my seat, confused, 4 different Americans ask me, "So, do we go down to Gate 408?"  Sorry folks, no, we are all just sharing a mass hallucination.  Stay here.


3.  I ate at a London restaurant that is considered the best/most popular new restaurant in London -- it was very good, not super awesome.  But the two things that will stick with me are:  a) every guy was 20+ years older than his date; b) every guy was a 4-6 out of 10 and his date was an 8-10.   I am not sure you could attend a Miss USA pageant and see this many beautiful women in one location.  Client had to guaranty that the table would spend 600 pounds or we couldn't get a table.

2.  I am pretty sure my town car driver on the way back was either a spy or a representative of the Russian government, but he thought I was HILARIOUS (which further aroused my suspicions).  And he also loved 1980s-90s NBA basketball.  We talked Jordan/Shaq/Barkley for 15 minutes.  At the end of the drive, he gave me his card and said, "Man, if you are ever in London again, I really want you to call and I will drive you around again.  We can talk some NBA."  The guys was like 40 years old.

1.  I met up with an old law school friend, which I always enjoy.  Her husband was SUPER pissed that his train was late and it took him 2 hours to reach the restaurant.  But he bought me dinner anyway, an offer which I probably should not have accepted so quickly (but sometimes my dad's cheapness really comes out of my DNA).

"HM, let us buy you dinner."
Me - Really?
"Sure.  Why not?"
Me - OK.

Lesson for all those who interact with me - never offer me free stuff.  I will take it.


HM

No comments: